REASONS FOR DECIDING TO JOIN OCW
Advantages and disadvantages
Institutional Positioning on a world-wide phenomenon.
- Advanced knowledge by offering educational resources and extending localisation mechanisms.
- Promotion of innovation and perfected of teaching resources used by tutors.
- Bringing tutors closer to IT.
- The opportunity to broach the “ordering” of intellectual property and author recognition.
- Greater protection of the mission of each Institution.
- The tutor is obliged to review teaching material and structure it in line with OCW.
- Increased cost of tutor support and provision of new services.
- Limitation of exclusive or commercial use of educational material.
- Possible repetition of resource management as two different contexts are in use.
New ways of assessing the curricular value of educational material.
What does membership of the OCW Consortium provide?
In order for it to be beneficial the following should be evaluated:
- Integration in the Strategic Plan.
- Its flexibility and adaptability to the Institution.
- The sharing of support, resources, experiences, good practice,…
- A wider repercussion and scope of work.
- The member institutions of the Consortium reinforce the image of the Institution itself.